On July 21, 2016, the HRTPO Board approved and adopted the Hampton Roads 2040 Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP). The 2040 LRTP will be the official transportation blueprint guiding multimodal transportation investments for the region.
2040 LRTP Amendments
Hampton Roads Long‐Range Transportation Plan: Amendments
Most Recent Amendment: January 2017 Update
2040 LRTP Compendium of Reports
(click on the cover to open a .pdf of the document)
Vision Statement and Goals (Nov. 2013)
With an engaged public, the 2040 Long-Range Transportation Plan sets forth a vision to develop a well-balanced transportation system that promotes good quality of life while enhancing the unique character of Hampton Roads.
- Support the economic vitality of the metropolitan area, enabling global competitiveness, productivity, and efficiency.
- Increase the safety of the transportation system for all users, including minimizing conflicts between motorized and non‐motorized modes.
- Ensure the security of the region's transportation infrastructure and its users.
- Protect and enhance the environment, promote energy conservation and improve the quality of life.
- Consider the impact of transportation investments on the environment.
- Promote compatibility between transportation improvements and planned land use and economic development patterns.
- Increase accessibility and mobility of people and goods.
- Provide a variety of transportation options that accommodates all users.
- Increase the coordination of the transportation system, across and between modes, for people and goods.
- Promote an efficient and reliable regional transportation system.
- Preserve and maintain the existing transportation system.
- Engage a diverse public in the development of the region’s transportation system.
- Continue to work towards finding dedicated and sustainable revenue sources for transportation to close the funding gap.
- Meetings and Agendas
- + Member Locations
- + Long Range Transportation Planning
- Title VI/Environmental Justice Methodology Tool
- Transportation Improvement Program
- + Transportation
- + Operations & ITS
- + Funding
- SMART SCALE (HB2) Legislation
- + Reports & Data
- Unified Planning Work Program
- Public Notices
- + Public Information
- Commonwealth Transportation Board
- Other Links
- Procurement & DBE Program